- Do: Lock your car door with the key fob or key instead of locking it manually from the door switch on your way out.
- Do: Replace the battery in your key fob every two years or when recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. (Because when your key fob battery dies, so does your ability to use the fob to get into your car.)
- Do: Keep a spare car key safely inside your home.
If you get locked out of your car
• Don’t: Call the police, unless it’s an emergency.
• Do: Double-check each door to make sure you are really locked out before you call for help.
• Do: Call a friend to help you get your spare key.
• Do: Confirm your location and summon help from AAA Roadside Assistance.
How AAA can help when you’re locked out of your car
Vehicle lockout service is included with your AAA Membership—just let us know where you are, and a service provider will come to you. If a locksmith is required, you can get some reimbursement through AAA (how much depends on your membership level).